Telecom Contract Management and Business Cases
This course is designed to assist contract professionals in the telecommunications and/or IT companies to cope with the increasing complexity of commercial and business relationships as telecommunications becomes ever more complex and diversified.
All business professionals need to understand what a contract entails, the contractual terms, expected performance and duties of the parties involved in the contract, as well as the consequences of a failure in observing any of the contractual terms.
This course will seek to explain the different legal, commercial, logistics and technical terms while specifying each section of the contract. In general, this course will provide a good understanding of contracting in plain English language, while lightly discussing some of the common technologies like mobile communications, optical fiber networks, SDN/NFV, Carrier Ethernet, etc.
- CTOs, CFOs, CMOs, and Directors who wish to enrich their knowledge in contract management to make intelligent and informed business decisions
- Procurement Managers/Executives
- Project Managers
- Professionals in technical and/or management roles
- Strategy Managers
- Finance Managers
- Telecom Engineers
- Planning Engineers
- Any professional who is keen to learn about contract management
Duration & Training Format
- Classroom: 3 days
- LIVE Virtual*: 20 hours
- A minimum of 6 or more participants are required for a company-based LIVE Virtual course to commence
- LIVE Virtual courses can be conducted for 5 hours or 7 hours daily. Please note that the number of training days will be extended if you opt for 5 hours daily
Upcoming Course Dates
18 – 20 Sep 2023 (Mon – Wed), GMT +08:00
If you are keen on attending the above scheduled course, please register your interest via our course enquiry form.
This course aims to equip participants with the advanced knowledge and skills required to plan, design, conduct, and control procurements in telecommunications/IT industry. At the end of the course, participants will learn the following:
- Fundamentals of contract management
- Projects and contracts in the telecommunications/IT domains
- Basic terms used in telecom business cases, like ARPU, cash inflows, cash outflows, NPV, IRR, etc.
- Universal best practices as per PMI
- Universal methodology as per FIDIC
- Global practices in commercial payment terms, like CFR, DDP, EXW, etc.
- Financing through Public-Private Partnerships (PPP)
- Important commercial and legal clauses in contracts
- Drafting of contracts, MoUs, SLAs, etc.
- End-to-end management of contracts
- Managed services, SLAs, and KPIs
- Introduction to Contract Management
- Scope of Work
- Projects in of Telecom/IT Domains
- Fiber Optics Deployment – Direct Buried, Ducting, Sub-Ducting, Aerial Laying, etc.
- Fiber Optics Technologies – SDH, OTN, DWDM, GPON
- Data Centers – Shell, Core
- Mobile Networks – 3G/4G/5G
- Microwave Networks
- Core Network – Data Networking, Ethernet, MPLS, etc.
- Power Systems – Commercial Power, Genset, Batteries, Rectifiers, Inverters, Solar Power, etc.
- Business Cases in the Telecom World
- Declining ARPU
- CAPEX and OPEX
- Revenue Streams
- Business Continuity
- Cash Outflow and Inflow
- NPV, IRR, Payback Period
- Project Procurement Management (as per PMBOK)
- Planning Procurement: Project Charter, Statement of Work, Requirements, Procurement Strategy, Types of Contracts, Make or Buy Decisions, Tender Documents
- Conducting Procurements: Launching RFI/RFQ/RFP, Bidders Conference, Bid Submission, Bid Evaluation, Short Listing, Source Selection Criteria, LOI, Contract Negotiation, Contract Signing
- Control Procurements: Kickoff Meeting, Joint Site Surveys, Equipment Ordering/Shipping/Installation/Testing/Commissioning, Payment Terms, Claims Negotiations, Closing Procurement
- Incoterms 2020 (FCA, FOB, CFR, CIP, DDP, etc.)
- International Chamber of Commerce
- Commercial Transactions
- Rules for Modes of Transport: EXW, FCA, CPT, CIP, DDP, etc.
- Rules for Sea and Inland Waterway Transport: FAS, FOB, CFR, CIF
- Previous Incoterms: DAF, DAT, DES, DEQ, etc.
- Public Private Partnerships (PPP)
- Funding and Financial Partners
- P3 Justifications
- Transfer of Risk
- Accountability and Transparency
- Delivery Models: BOT, BOOT, BLT, etc.
- An Overview of FIDIC Rules (International Federation of Consulting Engineers)
- FIDIC Golden Principles
- FIDIC History and Overview
- Membership and Publications
- Adjudication and Mediation
- How Contracts Tranbsfer Risks
- Definition of Risk
- What is Risk Transfer
- Certificates of Insurance
- Hold Harmless Agreement
- Indemnification Clause
- Waiver Clause
- Legal and Commercial Clauses in the Contracts
- Payment Terms
- Force Majeure
- Dispute Resolution
- Rights and Obligations
- Service Level Agreements (SLAs)
- Managed Services
- KPIs and QoS
- Service Credits
- Customer-Based SLA
- Service-Based SLA
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) and Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)
- Proof of Concepts
- Offer and Acceptance
- Pre-Cursor for Formal Contracts
- Managed Services
- Telecom and IT Environment
- SLAs and Contracts
- Segregation of Responsibilities
- KPIs and QoS: MTBF, MTBR, Latency, Frame Loss Ratio, etc.