Fiber to the Home (FTTH) Overview
This is an overview level course which explains how the monumental growth of the Internet challenged Telecoms Service providers to provide Internet access.
Early fixed access systems (DSL, Cable, Broadband over Power Line (BPL)) offered instant connection but their limitations were quickly exposed as consumer demand for ‘bandwidth-hungry’ services grew.
Next Generation Access Networks (NGAN) have been designed and are now being deployed and the world is experiencing a migration away from DSL, Cable and BPL technologies – to high performance FTTX and FTTH solutions.
FTTH is the delivery of services over optical fiber from the Central Office (CO) all the way to a home or business and are replacing traditional systems – widely regarded as THE future-proof fixed broadband option.
Telecommunications managers, supervisors, technicians, graduates and apprentices plus other personnel whose work is related to FTTH systems or other professionals who require an insight into FTTH technologies.
This course acts as a stepping stone to a number of more advanced level FTTX / FTTH courses.
[Classroom: 3 days / LIVE Virtual*: 21 hours]
- A minimum of 5 or more participants are required for a company-based LIVE Virtual course to commence
- LIVE Virtual courses can be conducted for 5 hours or 7 hours daily. Please note that the number of training days will be extended if you opt for 5 hours daily.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand traditional access technologies and their performance limitations
- Appreciate the drivers behind the deployment of NGAN
- Be familiar with the basic concepts of fiber optics transmission
- Learn the various different FTTX architectures Recognize the design considerations and key components in an FTTH GPON
- Comprehend how the Internet has changed our lives and the future concept of the ‘Internet of Everything’
- Copper Access Network
- The Growth of the Internet
- Triple-Play Services (High Speed Internet, VoIP, IPTV)
- Traditional Fixed Broadband Solutions (DSL, Cable, BPL)
- Mobile Broadband Solutions
- The Need for Next Generation Access Networks (NGAN’s)
- Evolution of Fixed Access Networks
- Basic Principles of Fiber Optics Transmission
- Advantages of Fiber Optics Transmission
- FTTX Solutions (FTTN, FTTC, FTTB)
- What is FTTH?
- Design Considerations of an FTTH Network
- FTTH GPON Loss Budget
- FTTH GPON (OSP and Key Components)
- FTTH GPON Technologies (WDM, TDMA, Broadcast)
- FTTH GPON Customer Installation
- The Internet of Everything