FTTX and GPON Technical Workshop
This course (which can include a ‘hands on’ practical element) is designed primarily for telecommunications
technicians who wish to understand the technologies associated with GPON and FTTX.
It may be regarded as a pre-cursor to two Certified Technician courses on a) Outside Plant and b) FTTH GPON. The telecommunications world is starting to migrate away from traditional fixed access networks (e.g. DSL,
cable) as these technologies struggle to provide the speed and performance required for the delivery of Internet
Fiber optics in the ‘local loop’ is capable of delivering both current and future Internet applications including
highly interactive services. The course reviews a few relevant technical areas before coming right up to date to consider the modern technologies that support FTTX and GPON – access networks that are rapidly growing in our world today.
Telecommunications technicians and contractors who wish to be deployed on Next Generation Access Networks. Also suitable for technical managers, supervisors and other professionals who wish to gain a practical insight into FTTX and FTTH GPON operation.
[Classroom: 4 days / LIVE Virtual*: 28 hours]
- A minimum of 6 or more participants are required for a company-based LIVE Virtual course to commence
- LIVE Virtual courses can be conducted for 5 hours or 7 hours daily. Please note that the number of training days will be extended if you opt for 5 hours daily.
There are no upcoming course dates currently scheduled for this course. If you are keen on attending this course, please register your interest and indicate your preferred start/end training dates via our course enquiry form for us to open a Classroom/LIVE Virtual class schedule for this course.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Recognize the performance limitations of traditional access networks and the drivers behind Next Generation Access Networks (NGAN)
- Understand fiber optics cables and the principles behind fiber optics transmission
- Appreciate the various types of PON and why GPON is emerging as the preferred solution
- Comprehend WDM technologies
- Demonstrate a healthy understanding of GPON technology – planning rules and design considerations, construction, health and safety, tools and testers
- Show competence in the completion of a number of practical installation, testing and trouble-shooting activities (practical labs)
- Traditional Access Networks and Their Limitations
- The Need for Next Generation Access Networks (NGAN)
- Principles of Fiber Optics Transmission
- Fiber Optics Cables
- What is a Passive Optical Network (PON)?
- Variations of PON
- PON Topologies
- WDM Overview
- GPON Architecture, Components, Specifications and Standards
- GPON Design Issues including Loss Budget
- Fiber Safety and Contamination Types
- Tools and Testers
- GPON Construction
- Testing and Trouble-shooting
- Practical Labs:
- Cable Preparation
- Mechanical and Fusion Splicing
- Optical Time Domain Reflectometer
- Light Source and Power Meter