Optical Transmission Planning and Dimensioning
This course provides participants with a comprehensive technical foundation of the architectures, technologies
and networking elements that are associated with the deployment of evolving Optical Transport Networks
It includes optical components, optical link budgets, optical amplifiers, WDM optical networks and optical
applications in cellular networks.
The course involves a refresh of fiber optics technologies and also considers the future market trends of
emerging optical networks.
Optical Transport Networks have key roles to play in today’s telecommunications environment but their
importance will grow in the future as consumer demand for services changes dramatically e.g. Internet of
Everything, big data, 5G mobile backhaul.
Participants will participate in workshops and learn how to design, plan and dimension a basic OTN.
This course provides a general design overview for fiber core network planners, technicians and supervisors, strategic or technical managers, consultants, communications professionals, system engineers, marketing and sales personnel and others who plan on using, evaluating, designing or working with optical transport networks.
This course acts as a pre-cursor to Course C4: DWDM and Optical Networking for Metro and Long Haul.
[Classroom: 3 days / LIVE Virtual*: 21 hours]
- A minimum of 5 or more participants are required for a company-based LIVE Virtual course to commence
- LIVE Virtual courses can be conducted for 5 hours or 7 hours daily. Please note that the number of training days will be extended if you opt for 5 hours daily.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the key optical fiber terminologies
- Comprehend the fundamentals of fiber optics systems
- Appreciate DWDM technologies
- Identify applications of optical networks (current and future)
- Design optical network systems
- Optical Transmission Networks (Overview)
- Transmission Rates Hierarchy
- Network Topologies
- Fiber optics (Refresher)
- Optical Transmitters
- Optical Receivers
- Noise Characteristics in Optical Receivers
- Optical Amplifiers
- Optical Link Design
- WDM Optical Networks
- Optical Networks in Cellular Environments
- Planning and Dimensioning Workshops