DWDM and Optical Networking for Metro and Long Haul
This advanced level course opens with some ‘refresher activities’ before considering some of the more advanced aspects of DWDM network design and engineering – its focus is on metro and long haul optical networking.
Cisco predict that by 2020 there will be 50 billion objects connected to the Internet – metro and long haul optical transport networks are central to this Internet of Everything vision.
Participants are taught the design principles of optical networking before being afforded the opportunity to design optical links based on a number of different criterion.
An insight into the key test and measurements applicable to various optical systems and DWDM network applications is offered.
This course is designed for fiber core supervisors, planners, technicians and professionals, strategic and technical telecommunications managers, consultants, IT professionals, systems engineers, software engineers, marketing and sales personnel plus other telecommunications workers who plan on using, evaluating or working on DWDM and optical networking in metro and long haul scenarios.
[Classroom: 3 days / LIVE Virtual*: 21 hours]
- A minimum of 5 or more participants are required for a company-based LIVE Virtual course to commence
- LIVE Virtual courses can be conducted for 5 hours or 7 hours daily. Please note that the number of training days will be extended if you opt for 5 hours daily.
After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand technologies and concepts that underpin DWDM and optical networks
- Name the key components of optical networks and how they fit together
- Explain advanced DWDM network design principles and operation
- Appreciate the effects of noise in signal propagation e.g. OSNR
- Grasp the key test & measurement parameters in optical systems and DWDM networks
- Understand optical networking in metro and long haul environments
- Design optical network transport systems suitable for metro and long haul
- Review of Transmission Principles and Optical Networks
- Fiber Optic Cables (Refresher)
- Introduction to DWDM
- DWDM Architecture, Components, Advantages and Impairments
- DWDM Advanced (EDFA, Amplifiers, Channels, Speed, Total Spectral)
- Analysis of Other Optical Components
- Optical Power, Loss and OSNR
- Chromatic Dispersion (CD) and Polarization Mode Dispersion (PMD)
- DWDM Networks
- Design Principles of Optical Networking
- Photonic Networks
- DWDM Testing, Measurement and OAM&P
- From Transport to Switching
- OTN Metro and Long Haul Applications
- OTN Packet Optical Networking
- Design Workshops: Metro and Long Haul Networks