After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the basic concepts of SDH, SONET and optical transmission technologies
- Understand some of the more advanced concepts associated with DWDM technologies
- Comprehend the key rules and processes involved in planning and implementing SONET/SDH, DWDM and optical transport networks
- Recognize the engineering Tools and Testers involved
This introductory course provides an understanding of the SONET/SDH and DWDM networking technologies and associated elements that are required to build evolving transport networks.
SONET and SDH are standardized multiplexing protocols that transfer multiple digital bit streams over optical fiber using lasers or LEDs – offering improved configuration flexibility, higher bandwidths and lower costs compared to older systems e.g. PDH.
DWDM effectively increases the bandwidth of existing fiber optics backbones by combining and transmitting multiple signals simultaneously at different wavelengths over the same fiber.
The course provides participants with a solid technical foundation into optical networking, services and applications development.
It considers network planning rules, tools and testers and key processes (e.g. acceptance testing)
Pre-Requisite for Participants:
Good understanding of basic telecommunications transmission principles.
Who Should Attend?
Fiber core network supervisors, planners, technicians, graduates and apprentices, strategic and technical telecommunication managers, consultants, IT professionals, systems engineers, marketing and sales professionals plus other telecommunications workers who plan on using, evaluating, designing or working with SONET/SDH, DWDM and optical transport networks.
This course acts as a stepping stone to intermediate level Optical Transport Network courses e.g. ‘From SDH to Optical Transport Network’ and ‘Optical Transmission Planning and Dimensioning’
- Basic Transmission Concepts
- Overview of SDH technology
- Architecture, multiplexing hierarchy and services
- Sampling, frame structure, bit rates and overheads
- SDH Pointer
- SDH networks and protection
- SDH vs SONET
- Next Generation SONET/SDH
- SONET/SDH Planning
- Principles of Fiber Optics
- Optical Communications
- Basic concepts of DWDM
- More advanced DWDM principles
- Optical network planning
- Tools and Testers
- Acceptance Testing