Duration and Training Format
5-day instructor-led training
The course describes in depth the technologies, standards and design principles of modern wireless communication networks. The main objectives of this course is to provide a solid grounding on the dimensioning and planning of 4G and 5G networks for the participants.
At the end of the training, the participants will have the following takeaways:
- Understand and describe the LTE/LTE-A architecture, components and operation
- Understand how to design the LTE Transport Network
- Describe Signalling, Protocols and Procedures
- Describe and understand LTE security
- Describe and be able to plan and design an LTE/LTE-A packet core and radio network
- Describe the main services (VoLTE, ViLTE) of 4G and how they are optimised.
- Understand 5G, the differences with 4G and the main principles that 5G is based on.
- Understand 5G network architecture and planning
- Gain a solid foundation of HetNets and HetNet planning
- Understand M2M/IoT technologies and its applications.
The course provides a solid technical understanding of the different cellular technologies that are used in the mobile telecommunications industry today. More specifically, the course covers in-depth LTE and LTE Advanced, and provides a holistic understanding of the architecture, protocols, procedures, signalling, security, design principles, Radio Access Network planning and optimisation, Transmission, Transport and Packet Core. In addition, the services that are enabled by LTE/LTE-A such as VoLTE, ViLTE and MBB are described in detail, along with how these can be optimised.
Advanced techniques such as beam/forming, space-time-coding, MIMO, Handovers as well as their performance (both practical and theoretical) are covered. It also provides an introduction to 5G technology ranging from topics such as architecture, NG-Radio, NG-PaCo, Cloud RAN, HetNets to standardisation.
Completing the course, participants will be able to design, plan and optimize a LTE/LTE-A network, optimised the services (e.g. VoLTE, M2M etc…). In addition, they would also be equipped with the necessary knowledge to design HetNets and 5G Networks.
Pre-requisite for Participants
Good understanding of IP-based communication, wireless communication (e.g. OFDM), understanding of OSI protocol stack, basic understanding of virtualisation.
Who Should Attend?
Radio and Packet core engineers, system designers, planners, IP engineers, wireless R&D engineers, managers, technical project managers, solution designers.
LTE & LTE-A Overview
- LTE Air Interface
- System Architecture
- Signalling, Protocols & Operation
- Handovers & Procedures
LTE/LTE-A Transport Network Design
- IP MPBM Transmission overview
- Cellular Interfaces over IP
- IP-LTE transmission design
- SS7 signalling in LTE
- Carrier Ethernet in LTE transport network
LTE/LTE-A Planning, Design & Optimisation
- Radio Planning
- Core Network Planning
LTE/LTE-A Services Planning & Optimization
- VoLTE/ViLTE Planning
- E2E VoLTE/VoWiFi QoE
- QoE Engineering for LTE Services
HetNets Overview & Design Guidelines
- Technologies of small cells
- HetNet architecture and network elements
- ANDSF, HS2.0 and WiFiCalling
- Dynamic Network Discovery, Selection & Offloading
- Design Process
- Planning guidelines of Small Cell / Hetnets
- Evolution of 4G to 5G
- Comparison of 4G versus 5G
- Standardization activities towards 5G & Spectrum
- 5G wireless propagation models (METIS)
- 5G Radio Access Technologies
- 5G System concept
- 5G Architecture
- Software Defined Network (NFV, SDN)
- Functional architecture
- 5G Security
- 5G Use Cases & deployment
M2M/IoT in 5G
- Machine Type Communications – Fundamentals
- Massive MTC
- Critical – ultra reliable & low-latency – MTC
- Use Cases