After completing this course, participants will be able to:
- Clearly understand the theories, concepts and technologies which underpin fiber optics transport networks
- Display a keen understanding of fiber optics Outside Plant (OSP) components plus fiber optics cable planning and installation issues
- Appreciate fiber optics Health and Safety issues
- Comprehend the key tools and testers associated with fiber optics and be fully competent in their operation
- Successfully demonstrate a range of practical skills associated with the cable splicing, build and installation, testing, repair and trouble-shooting of fiber optics transport networks
- Receive their Certified Fiber Optics Technician OSP accreditation (on successful completion of assessments)
This highly practical course is designed firstly to give participants a robust theoretical understanding of the principles behind fiber optics and optical transport networks – leading to formal Certification.
The rapid upsurge in Internet popularity has opened a new level of bandwidth necessity across the network world.
There is now substantial acceptance of the performance of fiber optics transport networks among customers (residential and business) plus government agencies across the globe because of the vast benefits of this technology.
The OTN market is forecasted to grow by over 40% to US$ 23.64 billion BY 2019.
The classroom aspect of the training focusses on Outside Plant (OSP) including planning and installation, Health and Safety and associated ‘best practice’ processes and procedures.
In the safety of the laboratory, participants then have the opportunity to carry out a series of practical activities appropriate to the build, installation, testing and trouble-shooting of modern optical transport networks.
Finally, participants partake in a written examination and a practical assessment.
Pre-Requisite for Participants:
Prior experience of working with fiber optics cables and systems.
Prior attendance at course A3. GPON FTTX Workshop.
Who Should Attend??
Fiber optics core technicians and supervisors, cable splicers and other telecommunications professionals or contractors who are employed in (or looking to be employed in) the build, installation, repair and trouble-shooting of optical transport systems.
- Optical fiber general studies review
- Theory of light
- Single mode and multi-mode fiber
- Optical fiber cables
- Optical fiber health and safety issues
- Optical fiber cable planning and installation
- Selecting the right OSP cable
- Tools and testers
- Identification of optical fiber connectors
- Cable preparation
- Mechanical and fusion splicing
- Optical Line Test Sets (OLTS)
- Light source and power meter
- Optical Time Delay Reflectometer (OTDR)
- Testing and trouble-shooting
- Measurements, events, traces
- Commissioning and acceptance testing
- Practical Demonstrations
- ‘Hands-on’ exercises
- Written examination
- Practical assessment
- Practical assessment
At the end of the course, participants will partake in take written and practical examinations.
Students will receive their CFOT OSP Certificate if:
- a) They score 75% or higher on the written element AND
- b) They score 80% or higher on the practical assessment